Posted to alt.home.repair
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Solder?

# Fred # wrote:

I always thought the reason for not soldering was after-the-fact heat.

If you know how to solder, heat should not be a factor. Or you could use
heat sinks. With that said I do screw up with too much heat on occasions.

Depending on the lead/tin ratio of the solder, it can have different
melting points.

I always used 60/40 (60 for tin) electrical solder with rosin core. Melting
temperature around 440°F.

What's the mp for 63/37 eutectic?

If a soldered wire heats due to a heavy load, it may
be hot enough to break the solder joint if the solder used had a low
melting point. Just what I was taught.

Have not seen solder melt under normal conditions. If the electrical load is
that heavy I would think your wires are under sized.

Bob