Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Solder?

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 20:20:48 GMT, Steve Kraus
wrote:

No one has suggested using wire nuts AND solder. Make a good twist
connection with a wire nut, carefully unscrew it without loosening the
twisted wires, apply solder with good heat and just enough to flow into the
twists and not enlarge the overall joint, then put the wirenut back on
(should still grip the same) and put on the usual precautionary electrical
tape over the wire nut. A joint like that should last the ages. I once
used this technique for a junction box that was going to become fairly
inaccessible. Wire nuts alone would have been fine but, at least to me,
this was added peace of mind.

I've done exactly this, but often wondering if what I did in a pinch
was *okay*. After 17 years that house is still standing. I've asked
myself now and then if what I did was correct. At that time *code* was
not on my mind. This thread makes me even have more piece of mind.
Solder is not necessarily wrong.

--
Oren