Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

volts500 wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Another thought since it's been mentioned is furnaces and well pumps.
I'm not aware of any code requirement that they be hardwired. You can
easily and inexpensively make them cord connected devices with dedicated
outlets, allowing you to readily connect them via extension cords to
your generator.

Furnaces have always been required to be hardwired per (2002) NEC
422.16(A), and have a disconnect at the furnace if it is not within
sight of the distribution panel that supplies the circuit. Also, on
old furnaces that have the old combo fuse/switches, the fuse _is_ the
overload protection for the motor. Installing a cord cap and flexible
cord on that equipment would leave the furnace motor without overload
protection when it is plugged into the generator.

WTF are you talking about? I have the 2002 NEC in front of me, open to
article 422.16(a) and it in no way indicates a furnace needs to be
hardwired.

Pete C.