Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician Tom Horne, Electrician is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, wrote:
Puddin' Man wrote:

I have a 21 yr-old Cutler-Hammer panel that I installed myself back
around 1984.

No doubt there's numerous houses in which an interlock kit would
make sense. But there's nobody here but po' me, and, to my knowledge,
I don't need to idiot-proof the damned thang. Before any gas
generator were connected, the main breaker -would- be switched
off. And it would stay off until the gen. was removed.

It's your choice. With my electrical utility, if you "tickle" a
lineman, they will stop work, trace down where the electricity is
coming from, cut your lines off, and you will NEVER get electrical
service again. It's a union thing. They will blacklist your address.

Sounds like an urban legend to me...

I was there in Silver Spring, MD during the late nineties ice storm when
the outside superintendent took a climbing harness out of the trunk of
his sedan and climbed a pole in order to drop the service drop for an
offending house into the front yard. They could not get power back
until a master electrician certified that their property was free of any
uncontrolled energy source connected to it's wiring. The home is now
powered through an manual transfer switch which the owner had to install
at his own expense.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison