Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

"Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT" wrote:

Back feeding your house from a generator through a breaker other than
the main in the panel works perfectly fine. The situation you indicated
with the dryer outlet is not legal due to the lack of a safety interlock
to insure the main is indeed off when power is being back fed through
the dryer outlet. The electrically identical scenario is legal when the
main breaker and the dedicated back feed breaker are interlocked with an
approved device to insure the main is off when the back feed breaker is
on.

Pete C.

The installation you describe is only lawful and safe if the interlock
was installed pursuant to the local electrical code and the installation
was checked very carefully with appropriate test equipment against the
existence of sneak current paths back to the utility side of the main
breaker such as a second meter or utility remote control for water
heating or air conditioning.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

There is no local electrical code, I'm outside city limits. I checked
with the city building folks before my panel replacement project and
they said essentially, have fun, be careful.

The interlock kit is manufactured by Square D and is rated and approved
for the Square D panel it is installed in. There are no secondary meters
or utility remotes anywhere around here and the same potential issues
with them would apply regardless of whether a transfer switch or
interlock kit were used.

Pete C.