Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Solder?

HeyBub wrote:
# Fred # wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Pop` wrote:
Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Actually if I wired up my own house I would not hesitate to use
solder. Its just make the connections stronger, less resistance and
reliable if its done right.

"If it's done right." It is easy to mistake a solder-only joint for a
physical joint that's soldered.

Completely erroneous. If "it's done right" the wiring positions and forms
are clearly visible and easily distinguished.

Lay one wire atop another and join
with solder. Electrical connectivity is great, but the joint has no
stuctural strength.

No, actually it does have a fair structural strength. It's flexing and the
memory properties of solder that make it require the use of a physical
connection also.

As to resistance and reliability, when both are
done right, there is no difference between a solder joint and a
wire-nut joint.

Wrong again.

Those two being equal, the choice comes down to other factors: Ease of
"doing it right," expense, tools, power, noxious fumes, equipment,
experience, time and labor, etc.

Especially time and expense. ...