Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Building regs and DIY - Petition on no 10 web site

"Bypass" wrote in message
om...
dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
Spotted this - obviously of interest to DIY'ers. (and anyone who just
hates the nanny state in general).

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/deregulateDIY/

Don't be silly.
I wouldn't trust some builders to do stuff without building regulations
approval, certainly not most DIYers.
Its all very well saying that (eg.) an opening needs a lintel but who is
going to check?

Would you, for example, trust a builder to move a wash hand basin and
amend the waste pipe to suit? Yes, I would think so. Well, that task
requires Building Regulations approval.

Not acording to the head of building control who happens to be my neigbour
it doesn't.
It may have to meet water byelaws but its not inspected unless you dig
underground drains.

Mind you he also told me not to bother with part UP either as it was just
too much work for them to cope with. ;-)