Posted to alt.home.repair
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Solder?

Bob M. wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Dunno what the NEC says but experience says tape is completely
unacceptable. Over time it loses it's stickiness and if it's in a box
above an incandescent light, it will get baked, becoming dry & brittle.

OK, then how about cloth electrician's tape? That's what they used way
back when, when soldering was the way it was done. I've seen some
tape-wrapped joints that were intact to about this day.

Same answer. Stay with wire nuts.

My 50-year-old house has soldered/taped joints and as I come across them, I
peel the tape off and put a wire nut on it. If I'm wiring up something,
I'll break the solder joint, add the new wire and wire nut them.

Do you tape the wire nuts?