Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Galvanized Pipe

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message

Fact is it just is not as good as copper you can sugar coated anyway you
want. It is cheaper, and faster to install. But now do the contractors
pass that savings on ? Now you bash the Unions what dose that have to do
with the quality of pipe. But are one of those people that think everybody
but you should make minimum wage, have no medical benefits, have no
retirement. Even Union wages aren't that much compared to cost of living
anymore.

Oh, you are so wrong about what you say. Never did I say unions cause poor
quality pipes. I have nothing against making a good wage and good benefits.
Tradesmen deserve a good wage.

What I did say was unions do not like to change and modernize. I've worked
in many areas where the unions are strong. It is not just about wages, but
they can resist change if less labor is involved. I've seen it up close and
personal in the Philadelphia area. I've seen unions destroy some very good
small businesses also.

Unions were great for the working man back in the 30's and 40's and even
into the 50's. But around the mid 60's they started to go to hell. Yes,
most unions today suck. Some of the smart ones are now changing and
realizing they must work with businesses to create jobs and train skilled
workers, not just demand more benefits. They must EARN them. I've been
involved with union negotiations and I've seen the leadership sell out the
employees for their personal gain.

FWIW, I pay my plumber $55.00/hour.