Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Solder?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Pop` spake thus:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's
of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Can't answer the question (a good one, by the way), but it brings up
another, even more interesting, question in my mind: assuming it is legal
(I'd suspect it is), what about insulation for the joint? Is electrician's
tape sufficient?

Dunno what the NEC says but experience says tape is completely unacceptable.
Over time it loses it's stickiness and if it's in a box above an
incandescent light, it will get baked, becoming dry & brittle.

Skip the solder, use wire nuts.