Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

In article , CJT wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , CJT wrote:

Given that linemen have died in situations similar to what we're
discussing, I think we need to consider this a "real" hazard.

Cite one instance, please, in which a lineman has been killed by a backfed
generator when the service disconnect was OFF.

(Not holding my breath waiting...)

Yes, I understand there is a potential for serious danger. No, I'm *not*
advocating backfeeding service-entrance panels without a transfer switch. I'm

just pointing out that it's not automatically going to kill a lineman.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some DIY'er somewhere had turned the
main breaker "off" (having been warned of the dangers) and then hooked
up to the wrong side of it. Why, wondered he, was the generator so hard
to start, and why didn't his lights come on?

I sure would be surprised if that happened... and if it did, I'd expect even
the dullest person to figure out why it wasn't working.

--
Regards,