Grunff

Default What constitutes reasonable wear (cordless drill)

wrote:

(As an aside - me, I prefer a lighter less-to-go-wrong non-hammer cordless
(or two ;-), leaving heavier duties to corded drills.

I tend to use my DeWalt SDS for almost all wall drilling, my
Bosch mains for most metals/other general, and my Erbauer
cordless when I need to be cordless. The last few weeks I've
been completing my shed project, which has involved a fair bit
of cordless hammering, all be it into soft Thermalites.

I've accumulated both
a "normal" B&D which hangs by the bench, close to the vice, and spends much
time drilling through metal at lowish speeds, and a fair bit of time in
one of those vertical stands (yeah, I've not yet succumbed to a dedicated
pillar drill ;-)

I bought a £50 Clarke pillar drill many years ago, and would
highly recommend it. Despite the appalling lack of precision, I
still find it a lot better than a drill in a stand.

Sure, if you're only going to get one drill, a
cordless combi is probably the nicest thing all round; and if your
property has whole wings/floors where the 'lectric has yet to reach the
attractions of cordless increase.

Or stables/pump house/shed/etc. The cordless is pretty
indispensable for me.

I took the Erbauer apart tonight, and what's happened is that
the motor-gearbox mount, which is a very poorly designed plastic
bayonet fitting, has developed a lot of play. I suspect that
this is largely due to hammer action. Since I can't think of a
fix, I will be contacting Screwfix tomorrow.

--
Grunff