Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:54:26 -0600, CJT wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:48:30 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , CJT wrote:

And in a perfect world, nobody would accidentally flip a breaker.

Be realistic -- who's going to "accidentally" flip the MAIN??

By the time you find out, it'll be too late to stop it.

I never understood why people assume the one thing (perfection) that's
actually impossible.

Like I said... be realistic. Learn to distinguish real hazards from imagined
ones. Do what you can to prevent the real ones -- and ignore the ones that
arise only from your imagination.

Given that linemen have died in situations similar to what we're
discussing, I think we need to consider this a "real" hazard.

Sho'ly, sho'ly.

I switch the MAIN off, and pull the meter. Start the generator, and
30A jumps thru thin air, once in the breaker circuit, a second time in the
meter socket. Runs out thru the power lines and kills some po' lineman.

It'd have to perform magic only once to close the external circuit
with your safety switch ...

Any lineman could glance at the empty meter socket and KNOW for
certain that "juice floweth not" from the house to the lines.

Face it. 30% of lineman injuries are due to simple carelessness.
Near 70% are related to the insane conditions that ensue when
the utility's grids fail massively for one reason or another.

"They Have Seen The Enemy And He Is Them!" to paraphrase Walt
Kelly.

Puddin' (at home, always all by his lonesome)

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...