Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

It's your choice. With my electrical utility, if you "tickle" a
lineman, they will stop work, trace down where the electricity is
coming from, cut your lines off, and you will NEVER get electrical
service again. It's a union thing. They will blacklist your address.

Sounds like an urban legend to me...

It's not.

More than a union "thing" it's more of a "brotherhood" thing: You burned the
crap outta (or killed) my buddy, yours is gonna be the LAST service restored.

You can then expect all manner of "fun and games" from the utility's legal
department, just for starters. They WON'T, however, "never" reconnect the
service. They'll just bury you in so much bullsh*t following the accident
that you'll hire a licensed unionist electrician to install a transfer switch
- and wish you had done so earlier.

I honestly believe that everyone participating in this contentious topic has
the KNOWLEDGE and smarts enough to OPEN the main breaker or pull the meter.
It's the plethora of clueless DIY'ers out there buying generators "just in
case" that are cause for concern.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes