Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

In article , "Pete C."
wrote:

Another thought since it's been mentioned is furnaces and well pumps.
I'm not aware of any code requirement that they be hardwired. You can
easily and inexpensively make them cord connected devices with dedicated
outlets, allowing you to readily connect them via extension cords to
your generator.

I WAS going to do just that when we replaced our furnace last February.
However, since the low temp during the outage was -8F, we were in a bit of a
hurry to get it back up-and-running, so I "hard-wired" it as before.

I suspect that, during a protracted outage, I could easily and quickly attach
a plug to the input and be warm again.
--

JR