Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , CJT wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:03:01 -0600, CJT wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

snip

Suppose, in an emergency scenario, I pick a couple 15A circuits
and switch all the other breakers off? Safe?

Perhaps it would seem so, but I'd personally opt for extension cords.

Jeez, whotta mess ...

There's too great a danger of somebody who is not fully aware of what's
going on flipping a breaker.

"Flipping A breaker" isn't going to do any harm at all unless it's the MAIN
breaker.

That's a multi-occupant thingy. I shoulda stated there's noone
here 'cept me and my Crazy Birddawg.

I'd hate to be the guy responsible for
electrocuting a power company lineman working to restore power.

Keep the main breaker off, and that won't happen.

This would be possible given the main breaker in my house is
switched off? No comprendere, senor.

All it takes is a momentary lapse of attentiveness or (particularly
since we're talking about emergency conditions) somebody new on the
scene.

Flipping the main breaker from off to on isn't the sort of thing that's going
to happen due to a "momentary lapse of attentiveness".

At any rate, I believe it violates code, is illegal, and is dangerous.

Yes, it's a Code violation. Yes, it's illegal. In an emergency, so what?

As for dangerous -- only if the main breaker is on.

I understand all that might not stop you doing it, but I would advise
against it.

Are you a lawyer?

Ever heard of Murphy's law?