Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave Sacramento Dave is offline

Default Galvanized Pipe

wrote in message
ups.com...
I plan to replace a good portion of galvanized Pipe with PEX. I've
read a few articles on the subject, and it looks fairly straight
forward... unscrew the old pipe, put on a threaded plastic connector
and attach PEX to it.

How likely is it that my 1965 built house's pipes will break under me
trying to unscrew them? If one breaks I'll have to buy a set of dies
and rethread the darned thing, and I really don't want to do that.

Also, is this a job a fella can really do himself? Or should I just
pay the $2,000 to have a plumber do it?

If I was going to do all that work, re-pipe the house First I would
replace all the pipe, Second I would use Copper not PEX even if Mice & Rats
like it. ( and they will chew threw it) It's just the new cheap housing
track way to do things. But what do I know I'm just a plumber.