Posted to rec.woodworking
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Retarding white glue...?

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 03:36:25 GMT, "CW"
wrote:

In other words, you don't know. O.K.

"Kenneth" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:26:03 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Let's cut to the chase.

What epoxies aren't waterproof?

Lew

Hi Lew,

If you do some reading on any of the boatbuilding groups, or
at the sites of many of the manufacturers of epoxies you
will learn more.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Hi Lew & CW,

Let's separate this in to its two components (no pun
intended):

First you win. I am wrong, and you are right.

Now, with that out of the way, let's take a look at the
other component, epoxy.

You might want to check he http://www.westsystem.com/

Click on "additives" and you will see this:

422 Barrier Coat Additive

A proprietary blend designed to improve cured epoxy's
moisture-exclusion effectiveness. 422 is used as a barrier
coating additive to help prevent gelcoat blistering. 422
also increases the epoxy's abrasion resistance. Cures to a
light gray color. Add to mixed resin/hardener at the rate of
15 to 20% by weight-3 tablespoons per 8 fl. oz. epoxy
(approximately 32 oz. per B group).

So, were I to follow your lead, I would ask that you find a
similar product sold to improve the "moisture-exclusion
effectiveness" of something that we would all agree is
waterproof such as "glass."

Might either of you want to "quit the bull****" and "cut to
the chase" on that effort?

But seriously, it may be that we just understand the meaning
of the word "waterproof" differently.

I was certainly not trying to suggest that cured epoxy would
melt like a sugar cube when exposed to water.

But, it is my understanding that it is not completely
impervious to water damage either. The fact that West
Systems sells an additive to improve the moisture-exclusion
effectiveness of its own (highly regarded) epoxy would seem
to support my understanding.

Might I be wrong? Of course...

All the best,

--