Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Is There An Electrician in the House?

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Toller wrote:

I have never heard of old breakers being dangerous or lubricating
them, and I surely wouldn't do anything to them that the manufacturer
didn't recommend.

Maybe he was describing removing the breakers and applying a little
Thomas & Betts Kopper Shield or a silver conductive grease to the "plug
in" prongs to make sure they maintained good contact:

http://www.elexp.com/che_8463.htm

I suspect removing and replacing the breakers compromises their
connections more than this stuff improves them. And I'd be concerned
it might migrate, too.

But if you are concerned, you can probably replace them all for

$100 in an hour.
As a matter of fact, I just had a 1965 breaker trip when a mouse
chewed through a wire and shorted it.

Did the rodent survive?

Jeff