Posted to misc.consumers.house
Rich Rich is offline

Default fluorescent bulbs

"RickR" wrote in
ps.com:

The worst thing you can do is to put a long CF, upside down in a
recessed can so that it sticks out where you can't avoid looking at
it. It hurts, doesn't light well and burns out way too soon.

I have some in recessed- but not IC - cans. I have recessed lighting in
the kitchen and great room that is on pretty much constantly.

I get about the regular projected life out of them; whatever it says on the
box. I write the date I install it and the fixture number (cue the OCD
rant about numbering my fixtures...)

The burnout issue seems to be with IC cans. I can't install them in an IC
fixture without having them burn out in a month or so before I got smart
and figured out what was happening.

--
Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.