Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] radiotech@corrwireless.com is offline

Default RCA projector tube leak

Grauwulf wrote:
Good day all!

I have a RCA P60152CK rear projection unit that appears to have a
coolant leak in the green picture tube. I have removed the light box
from the unit and removed the green tube and lens assembly from the
light box. I know for sure it is leaking because the coolant that had
accumulated in the anode cap cover ended up in my lap. :|

Anyhow, I have a decent amount of experience working on video game
monitors, but this is my first foray in to projection TV repair. I have
done some reading of previous posts on coolant leaks, but I'm still not
100% certian of the procedure for repairing the leak. I have seen black
and copper RTV mentioned a few times, and I just want to make sure that
I know what I am doing before I take this unit apart. I am assuming
that to seal up the tube I have to remove the 4 bolts that hold the
metal frame and lens assembly to the face of the crt and separate the
crt and lens. Then I clean up the surface of the tube, lay a bead of
silicone around the outside of the lens and bolt the whole thing back
together. Sound about right?

It also looks like the only way I can get to the anode cap to clean and
reseal it is to pull the bolts and the metal frame off anyhow.

My major concerns are a: contaminating the coolant somehow and b:
putting everything back together and finding I have an air bubble in
the inside of the lens.

Can someone let me know if I am on the right path for this? Any tips or
tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
James