Andy Hall

Default What constitutes reasonable wear (cordless drill)

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:44:06 +0100, Grunff wrote:

I bought an 18v Erbauer drill from Screwfix about 15 months ago.
It has been a superb tool. I've used it almost every weekend for
the past 15 months.

It's recently developed significant play, not in the chuck, but
in the motor-case mounting. I can't see anything broken, looks
like it has just worn loose.

When I bought it I paid ~£160, and it's now available for £140.

Other than this play, the drill still performs perfectly. I
don't think I've abused the drill, and I don't think it's been
dropped hard. It has had a lot of heavy use.

My dilemma is this - given that I've had lots of use from it,
can I reasonably expect it to be repaired/replaced under the two
year warranty?

I'm not asking whether they would - there's only one way of
finding that out. I'm asking if I would be reasonable to ask,
it's kind of an ethical thing. I don't believe in taking the
**** with my suppliers.

So, what do you think? How long should a £150+ cordless drill
last with heavy use?

TIA

Presumably this is Screwfix 71776?

On the web site, and the catalogue, they use the description "high
performing". I think that that would be good enough for me to
invoke the warranty. If this were a £50 job, maybe not, but at £140
I would expect more.

I don't know if you have the latest Axminster catalogue, but they have
included a page (pp1.02) of classification ratings. For some time
they've put classifications on their power tools and machinery of
hobby, light trade, trade and industrial.

The definitions are helpful in knowing what to expect and in a subtle
way they are informing their customers, which I think is a good thing
to do. It's a guideline, but I think a reasonable one.

I'll paraphrase the definitions:

Hobby
=====

Lower power, light build, one person for light and occasional heavy
work. Looked after, not continuous use, not income generation, up to
100 hrs/year. e.g. Perform brand.

Light Trade
=========

Higher power, heavier build, used by 2-3 people in small company or
keen hobbyist. Occasional site use or kitchen fixing. SOme rough
handling but usually well looked after. Occasional heavy work. Used
for income generation, use up to 300 hrs/yr.

Trade
=====

Continuously rated, high power and heavy duty. Expected use by 6+
people in medium sized businesses, workshops or small production
facilities, site use. Some rough handling during site use. Used to
the tool's limit with heavy work periods. Essential for income
generation. Up to 1000 hrs/yr.

Industrial
=======

Continuously rated, high power and heavy duty. Expected use by
people in large sized businesses, workshops or large production
facilities, site use. Rough handling during site use and not well
looked after, but maintained in workshop use. Used to the tool's
limit with heavy work periods. Essential for income generation. Up
to 1500+ hrs/yr.

In the context of these I think I'd pitch the Erbauer drill in the
light trade category. You've used it every weekend but not every day.
Therefore again, I think it's reasonable that it should have lasted
longer.

For example, Axminster do an 18v cordless combi drill in their "White"
brand rated for light trade at £90 inc.

The trade rated ones are all branded and are £250+

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl