Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Green Copper

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
snip
That is what I would like to do, but the buyer we are negotiating with
right now wants copper and says he wants to remove the whirlpool. The
problem is that the deal is on a 72 hour clause. If we come to
acceptable terms then the house still remains on the market. If we get
another buyer who is ready to make a firm offer with a set closing date
the first buyer has 72 hours to commit to the purchase, otherwise it
goes to the second buyer with an acceptable offer. The first buyer is
the only one interested in the house without the whirlpool. Everyone
else has commented positively on the indoor whirlpool. e did this on
another house and the people with the 72 hour clause gave up the house.
Also, there would be NO plumber's time. It is all my time.

In that case, I'd agree to replace the copper with new pipe, since that's
cheap and you can do it yourself. Tell him "no" to removing the
whirlpool.

I"M not removing it. He claims he will after taking posession.
Personally I think he is just trying to make an excuse for lowering the
price. So does my realtor. He also wanted me to pay to replace perfectly
good carpeting! We hav so far negotiated that out of the deal.

He's being silly. Even if you replace the pipes, the new ones will be
green again at some point in the future and he'll realize he asked for
the wrong thing. He should've asked his inspector to figure out WHY
they're turning green.

Has not had an inspector look at it yet as we have not reached an
agreement yet.

I totally agree about the copper doing it again. The cause IS the
clorine in the whirlpool per our plumber. High PH water might also be
contributing to the problem.

Of course, only you and your realtor know what the local house market is
like. Is waiting for a second offer realistic, or aren't you getting many
lookers?

He's the first one to look. We have a second coming over today. Next
week it is on the realtor tour. We have been very busy getting it emptied
out and into our new home 9 hours away.

Carpet?!? Are these young people? That's nuts! Murphy's Law: If you have
clean carpet, it is guaranteed to rain or snow on the day you move in. The
movers are not going to switch from shoes to nice clean slippers every time
they come in the door. :-)

When I was house shopping, my realtor and I looked at a house owned by a
young guy who was a deer hunter. He had antlers hanging all over the walls.
He happened to mention that the house had been on the market for 3 months,
without a single expression of interest from buyers. Weird, because it was a
great house. My realtor suggested that he get the antlers off the walls
because they probably turned a lot of people off. He did it. It was sold in
a week.