Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Green Copper

We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with a
green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even
electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place. Anybody
know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Mike Dobony wrote:
We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with a
green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even
electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place. Anybody
know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

You're going to have to polish it off. I'm assuming what you're
describing is actually just oxidized copper.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with
a green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even
electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place.
Anybody know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

You didn't specify WHICH copper was turning green, so I'll assume you mean
the pipes leading to the whirlpool. Here's an explanation of the green
color:

"Copper exposed to water, oxygen, and CO2 in the air form a complex mixture
of oxides and carbonates, referred to as "patina". The presence of acids
accelerates the process."Basically, it's copper's version of rust. No need
to obsess about it. But, copper wasn't the best choice for the pipes which
are close to the whirlpool. PVC (plastic) would've been better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered
with a green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and
even electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in
place. Anybody know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Is it the stuff that surface copper turns into to give it that classic
patina found, for example, on the Statue of Liberty or is it algae?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Mike Dobony wrote:
We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered
with a green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and
even electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in
place. Anybody know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Is it the stuff that surface copper turns into to give it that classic
patina found, for example, on the Statue of Liberty or is it algae?

Not algae, but patina. These are the main water lines in which the
individual water lines are run from. The individual lines are grey poly,
much like the newer PEX.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered
with a green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and
even electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place.
Anybody know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

You didn't specify WHICH copper was turning green, so I'll assume you mean
the pipes leading to the whirlpool. Here's an explanation of the green
color:

Nowhere near the whirlpool. They are in the next room.

"Copper exposed to water, oxygen, and CO2 in the air form a complex
mixture
of oxides and carbonates, referred to as "patina". The presence of acids
accelerates the process."Basically, it's copper's version of rust. No need
to obsess about it. But, copper wasn't the best choice for the pipes which
are close to the whirlpool. PVC (plastic) would've been better.

No need to be obsessed about it, but makes it difficult to sell the house
for a good price. Grey poly is running to the whirlpool. These are in the
next room and are the main lines running up to a manifold to run individual
poly lines to each sink/faucet/etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I mentioned "adjacent" because any of the factors can accelerate the
oxidation. If the area around the pipes is damp at all, you're going to get
the green stuff. Has anyone looked at the house and actually commented on
it? Customer? Realtor? If yes, get to a hardware store and pick up one of
the paste-type products made for cleaning the green away. But, if you don't
find the cause, it's going to return.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:35:54 -0600, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with a
green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even
electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place. Anybody
know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

I use to 'polish' copper fixtures, till I was told it was wrong. If
something is a show piece, it's ok, you have to take the good with the
bad. However, if not, then removing the oxide layer exposes fresh
copper to oxerdize. With each polishing, a layer of metal is lost.

Now this is what was told to me, I'm no metalist.

later,

tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with a
green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even
electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place. Anybody
know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

I use to 'polish' copper fixtures, till I was told it was wrong. If
something is a show piece, it's ok, you have to take the good with the
bad. However, if not, then removing the oxide layer exposes fresh
copper to oxerdize. With each polishing, a layer of metal is lost.

Now this is what was told to me, I'm no metalist.

later,

tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

If you want the copper to stay bright , you need a good copper polish
and then laquer it.

You can get a clearcoat in a spray can that will last quite a while.

I dont know if a sacrificial anode would be an option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
[...]

If it affects the price of the house, then you
don't want to sell to that buyer.

I would worry more about the gray (you British?)
poly running to the whirlpool making the house
difficult to sell. But if you think gray is
superior, paint the damn things gray!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Realtor and potential buyers have all commented on it. It is hard NOT to
comment on such an obvious and unusual attribute (unusual for plumbing and
in such large quantity, i.e. solid on all the cold supply and minor coloring
on the hot). I have a potential buyer we are negoting with right now, but
he wants to take out the whirlpool and wants it replaced with copper. The
whirlpool is a strong selling point of the house and best option for them is
for me to replace it with CPVC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I would only expect a large amount of corrosion on the copper pipe if there
was a current running through it. I mean, if its just surface crap, take a
brass brush and rub it off, then scuff with a brillo pad. If it formed
fairly quickly, then I would expect a current or other similar problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with a
green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even
electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place. Anybody
know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

Salt and vinegar will make it shine, at least for awhile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
Is it the stuff that surface copper turns into to give it that
classic patina found, for example, on the Statue of Liberty or is it
algae?

Not algae, but patina. These are the main water lines in which the
individual water lines are run from. The individual lines are grey
poly, much like the newer PEX.

Okay, then. You have three practical alternatives:

1. Leave it alone.
2. Polish the pipes, then coat with lacquer to preserve the copper look.
3. Paint the pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

So, replace it with PVC. Do you stand to make a decent profit on this house?
Would a couple of hours of a plumber's time put a major dent in the profit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That is what I would like to do, but the buyer we are negotiating with right
now wants copper and says he wants to remove the whirlpool. The problem is
that the deal is on a 72 hour clause. If we come to acceptable terms then
the house still remains on the market. If we get another buyer who is ready
to make a firm offer with a set closing date the first buyer has 72 hours to
commit to the purchase, otherwise it goes to the second buyer with an
acceptable offer. The first buyer is the only one interested in the house
without the whirlpool. Everyone else has commented positively on the indoor
whirlpool. e did this on another house and the people with the 72 hour
clause gave up the house. Also, there would be NO plumber's time. It is
all my time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with
green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even
electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place.
Anybody
know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

Salt and vinegar will make it shine, at least for awhile.

Tried that with minimal results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Mike Dobony wrote:
Is it the stuff that surface copper turns into to give it that
classic patina found, for example, on the Statue of Liberty or is it
algae?

Not algae, but patina. These are the main water lines in which the
individual water lines are run from. The individual lines are grey
poly, much like the newer PEX.

Okay, then. You have three practical alternatives:

1. Leave it alone.

Detracts buyers.

2. Polish the pipes, then coat with lacquer to preserve the copper look.

Trying to do that, but cannot get at many areas (corners, valves, etc.). I
need something to soak or spray on the pipes to clean them up.

3. Paint the pipes.

On top of chalky green stuff? Will also attract negative attention with
buyers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Mike Dobony wrote:
[...]

That leaves an extremely small market.

I would worry more about the gray (you British?) poly running to the
whirlpool making the house difficult to sell. But if you think gray is
superior, paint the damn things gray!

?????????????????????????????????????????????? Why would thermoplastic
plumbing make it hard to sell? It is the preferred material for such an
application! You obviously know nothign about plumbing!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

In that case, I'd agree to replace the copper with new pipe, since that's
cheap and you can do it yourself. Tell him "no" to removing the whirlpool.
He's being silly. Even if you replace the pipes, the new ones will be green
again at some point in the future and he'll realize he asked for the wrong
thing. He should've asked his inspector to figure out WHY they're turning
green.

Of course, only you and your realtor know what the local house market is
like. Is waiting for a second offer realistic, or aren't you getting many
lookers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip
[...]

I"M not removing it. He claims he will after taking posession. Personally
I think he is just trying to make an excuse for lowering the price. So does
my realtor. He also wanted me to pay to replace perfectly good carpeting!
We hav so far negotiated that out of the deal.

He's being silly. Even if you replace the pipes, the new ones will be
green again at some point in the future and he'll realize he asked for the
wrong thing. He should've asked his inspector to figure out WHY they're
turning green.

Has not had an inspector look at it yet as we have not reached an agreement
yet.

I totally agree about the copper doing it again. The cause IS the clorine
in the whirlpool per our plumber. High PH water might also be contributing
to the problem.

Of course, only you and your realtor know what the local house market is
like. Is waiting for a second offer realistic, or aren't you getting many
lookers?

He's the first one to look. We have a second coming over today. Next week
it is on the realtor tour. We have been very busy getting it emptied out
and into our new home 9 hours away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Carpet?!? Are these young people? That's nuts! Murphy's Law: If you have
clean carpet, it is guaranteed to rain or snow on the day you move in. The
movers are not going to switch from shoes to nice clean slippers every time
they come in the door. :-)

When I was house shopping, my realtor and I looked at a house owned by a
young guy who was a deer hunter. He had antlers hanging all over the walls.
He happened to mention that the house had been on the market for 3 months,
without a single expression of interest from buyers. Weird, because it was a
great house. My realtor suggested that he get the antlers off the walls
because they probably turned a lot of people off. He did it. It was sold in
a week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I believe the idea was that we give them a floor covering allowance to pay
them to replace the whole house with new carpet and linoleum and this would
be AFTER moving in. The absolute worst case scenario is that we replace the
padding in the entrance way and have the first room professionally
shamnpooed. The carpet is in excellent condition! They just don't like the
style.

When I was house shopping, my realtor and I looked at a house owned by a
young guy who was a deer hunter. He had antlers hanging all over the
walls. He happened to mention that the house had been on the market for 3
months, without a single expression of interest from buyers. Weird,
because it was a great house. My realtor suggested that he get the antlers
off the walls because they probably turned a lot of people off. He did it.
It was sold in a week.

essarily turned them off as such, but definately distracted potential
buyers. I tried to explain that to my wife. She doesn't listen. Now most
of it is in our other house. One truck load and it is finished with our
stuff. My son takes posession on their house mid-January, then an empty
house!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Mike Dobony" wrote:

I believe the idea was that we give them a floor covering allowance to pay
them to replace the whole house with new carpet and linoleum and this would
be AFTER moving in. The absolute worst case scenario is that we replace the
padding in the entrance way and have the first room professionally
shamnpooed. The carpet is in excellent condition! They just don't like the
style.

What's the real estate market like in your city right now? If it's a buyer's
market, you may have to cave on that. If it's a seller's market, you can tell
them to pound sand.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

I believe the idea was that we give them a floor covering allowance to pay
them to replace the whole house with new carpet and linoleum and this
would
be AFTER moving in. The absolute worst case scenario is that we replace
the
padding in the entrance way and have the first room professionally
shamnpooed. The carpet is in excellent condition! They just don't like
the
style.

What's the real estate market like in your city right now? If it's a
buyer's
market, you may have to cave on that. If it's a seller's market, you can
tell
them to pound sand.

Almost a nitch market. Largest house on the block, only one with a
whirlpool (HOT selling point except with this buyer). Overall market rather
neutral, depends on the house and neighborhood market. This house is near
the bottom of the upper-scale homes in the nearby area with a few extras,
like curb-side mail box (one of only 2 streets in the town with curb-side
mail service) and double the price houses only 2 blocks away. Also, every
market is both a seller's market and a buyer's market. Much depends on the
determination of the seller and individual buyer. We are not exactly
pressed at this time to sell. I don't start school now until May.

--
Regards,