Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Green Copper

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Mike Dobony wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered
with a green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and
even electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place.
Anybody know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

You didn't specify WHICH copper was turning green, so I'll assume you
mean the pipes leading to the whirlpool. Here's an explanation of the
green color:

Nowhere near the whirlpool. They are in the next room.

"Copper exposed to water, oxygen, and CO2 in the air form a complex
mixture
of oxides and carbonates, referred to as "patina". The presence of acids
accelerates the process."Basically, it's copper's version of rust. No
need to obsess about it. But, copper wasn't the best choice for the
pipes which are close to the whirlpool. PVC (plastic) would've been
better.

No need to be obsessed about it, but makes it difficult to sell the house
for a good price. Grey poly is running to the whirlpool. These are in
the next room and are the main lines running up to a manifold to run
individual poly lines to each sink/faucet/etc.

If it affects the price of the house, then you don't want to sell to that
buyer.

That leaves an extremely small market.

I would worry more about the gray (you British?) poly running to the
whirlpool making the house difficult to sell. But if you think gray is
superior, paint the damn things gray!

plumbing make it hard to sell? It is the preferred material for such an
application! You obviously know nothign about plumbing!