Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Colours of 1950s wireing.

Andy Wade wrote:
Cicero wrote:

[PVC]
It was certainly available in the early 1950s but I think it may have
been
available as separate single cables rather than sheathed.

The transition period from TRS to PVC for twin and twin-and-earth cables
was quite long.

Someone[1] posted the following list of dates on the IET wiring regs
forum not too long ago:

quote
Try these approximate dates:

Lead sheathed cables: pre-1948.

Tough rubber (TRS): 1945-1962.

Capothene and Ashothene Sheathed Cables: 1952-1960.

PVC/PVC cables without cpc (lighting): 1955-1966.

Imperial cables PVC: 1955-1971.

2.5mm PVC/PVC with 1mm cpc: 1971-1981.

Black earth conductors: pre-1966.

Green protective sleeving: pre-1966.

Absence of main equipotential bonding conductors: pre-1966.

2.5mm main equipotential bonding conductors - small installations:
1971-1972.

6mm main equipotential bonding conductors - small installations: 1966-1983.

10mm main equipotential bonding conductors - small installations:
post-1983.

Twin twisted flexible cords: pre-1977.

Fault voltage operated circuit breakers: pre-1981.

Accessories mounted on wooden blocks: pre-1966.

Non-13A socket-outlets pre-1955.

Double-pole fused switchgear on AC installations: pre-1955.

Others might may have other recollections. I appreciate that some
things were being used some time after the dates e.g. 15amp sockets.
/quote

[1] Original source he
http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/m...nterthre ad=y

(edited for typography by the present author).

My parents house built in 1952/3 featured rubber cable in steel conduit
and the then fairly modern 13A sockets. Colors were red black only.
Earth was via the metal conduit and was generally bare wired or
green..there was a copper earth rod in the ground..possibly added by my
father..