Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default HELP! - water does not come back On after turning the water mainback On

wrote:

i now find that I can turn the valve open forever - it does not hit any
stop point.

This fits with the idea that the gate has broken off the end of the
stem and is stuck in place.

Who owns this valve? Is it my cost to fix it - its the one between the
meter and the house - comes after the water company shutoff vale on the
meter. Bet its me huh?

If so should i just calla plumber and not bother the water company?

This will require a digout and valve replacement I guess...any idea
what this will cost?

Yeah, bet it's up to you...

Is the space big enough to swing a wrench if the meter
is removed (by the utility)? IOW, can the valve
be unscrewed without a lot of digging up?

Never mind cost; you better hope *somebody*
will come out!

PLAN "B": (You might need utility permission)
What will often be done in an emergency is to
"backfeed" one property from another (neighbor)
using a hose with female hose bibb threads each end.

Jim