Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default HELP! - water does not come back On after turning the water main back On

wrote in message
oups.com...
I needed to replace an outside faucet that went to the garden hose.

So turned off the water supply using valve out by the sidewalk that
goes to my house.

Water stopped OK. Replaced faucet OK.

Now when I turn the water main back to the ON position the entire house
still has NO WATER.

I have left the main ON for about an hour now with faucets all closed
off in case the pipes needed to fill up or something, but still no
water - none- not even a dribble.

I have repeatedly turned the main on and off - still no water. Could
the valve be stuck in some way - it feels OK when I turn it back and
forth. Could something have been dislodged like mineral buildup that
blocks the line?

This is a two story house.

Anyone have any ideas whats going wrong here?

The valve may have stuck closed at the meter - it happens especially when
the valve is left open for decades at a time.

As for turning on the water, you need to leave a faucet OPEN when the water
is off so that air can be pushed out - but even so I would expect some water
flow.

Open the lowest and the highest cold water faucet in the house and try
again.