Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Green Copper

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with
a green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even
electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place.
Anybody know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

You didn't specify WHICH copper was turning green, so I'll assume you mean
the pipes leading to the whirlpool. Here's an explanation of the green
color:

"Copper exposed to water, oxygen, and CO2 in the air form a complex mixture
of oxides and carbonates, referred to as "patina". The presence of acids
accelerates the process."Basically, it's copper's version of rust. No need
to obsess about it. But, copper wasn't the best choice for the pipes which
are close to the whirlpool. PVC (plastic) would've been better.