Glenn Ashmore

Default OT-I ain't No senator's son...

Ed Huntress wrote:

Another very good point. During the war, it seemed like the only people who
could get in were sons of politicians and their friends.

My dad, a decorated WWII Marine vet, tried to get me in through his
connections. No go. The list was impossible unless you were the son of a
Congressman, a Senator, or a foreign ambassador.

George W. Bush undoubtedly made the grade in that regard.

My dad was a Brigadier General in the Georgia Guard at the time and that
was one thing that really p*$#ed him off. The experienced WWII and
Korean vets who were in the Guard to get their 20 years were getting out
and the Guard was in desperate need of enlistees who would be in for the
long haul. Instead they were forced to give slots to children of
politicians who they knew would be out as soon as the war was over.

Didn't make much difference for me. With 7 years of ROTC and as the
progeny of 5 generations of Colonels and above I was genetically
programmed to go.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com