Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can improper wiring actually cause a fire?

In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

Lew? I didn't realize you were the OP. Anyway, here's a specific
example, tell me what you would use in the place of wire nuts:

Ceiling junction box with light fixture attached, power coming directly
to the that box, with a switch loop going to a wall mounted switch.
Using regular NM (Romex) cabling.

How would you connect the line neutral to the light fixture
neutral,the line hot to the switch loop, and the return from the
switch loop to the light fixture hot conductor?

What you are describing is the classic application for which the wirenut
was designed to solve.

Namely, the joining of a solid conductor (Romex) and a stranded pigtail
(the lighting fixture).

It is not a particularly good long term connection; however, there are
some conditions in this application that minimize future problems.

1) There is very little chance of vibration impacting the wirenut
termination.

2) The load is probably 600 watts or less so long term heat build up as
a result of a high resistance connection is minimized.

About the only possible alternate to a wirenut that is economically
viable would be a butt splice connector which would be totally dependent
on being able to make a proper mechanical crimp on a solid conductor,
something I'm not qualified to comment on, but would refer to the splice
manufacturer.

Lew

OK... Are you saying that you WOULD use a wirenut in this case?

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -