Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield Harry Bloomfield is offline

Default Colours of 1950s wireing.

After serious thinking Dave Fawthrop wrote :
My house is a 1950s 2 story semi.
I am connecting one fluorescent downstairs kitchen light in parallel with
another fluorescent, without taking up any more upstairs floorboards.

I have found a mass of single core PVC wires.

Does anyone remember what colours were used in the 1950s lights for wiring,
so that I can cut the right wires?

Red for live, black for neutral - exactly the same as until quite
recently.

1950's though would probably be VIR - rubber insulation which becomes
very brittle covered by a waxed woven cotton for protection, or rubber
with a tough rubber overlay for protection. So the VIR would look a
red/brown colour, rather than red - all well overdue for replacement.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)