Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Can improper wiring actually cause a fire?

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:25:15 +0000, Mike wrote:

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:26:49 GMT, Nova wrote:

Mike wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:40:32 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

And your problem with wire nuts is precisely what?

Everything, I wouldn't even trust them on low voltage door bell wiring
let alone anything carrying mains voltage and current.

They are pure unadulterated crap.

The National Electrical Code 110.14 state:

"Splices shall be made with an approved splice cap or “wire nut”."

What do you use in place of wire nuts?

Fortunately I'm not bound by "The National Electrical Code"

So I use either proper screw terminals usually fitted with a rising
leaf spring or preferably gas tight crimps, crimped with an approved,
calibrated crimp tool and then protected with adhesive lined, low
smoke and fume, zero halogen heat shrink This latter method in
particular quickly gives a guaranteed low impedance connection that
will last decades. i.e. the professional way to do it, not the bodgit
and scarper method espoused by "The National Electrical Code"

Wasn't it Michael Faraday that called the USA "The land of the free
and home of the smoldering wirenut?"

So you use screws to splice three wires together? That's downright scary.

As for your gas tight crimps, those things are so dependent on your
calibrated tool that they ought to be outlawed. Talk about a fire hazard.

Oh, and your beer sucks.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate