Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR JR is offline

Default 3801 denon receiver

Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, i have a problem with a 3801 denon receiver, ..I bought this
receiver from a guy on the internet, said to be in exellent shape, when
it arrived, i plugged it in and it will not do anything, no display, no
standby light, no click when you hit power switch nothing. I have
checked all 7 fuses on the receiver with an ohm meter, they are all ok.
checked voltage where power cord plugs into board, shows 120 volts, if
you unplug receiver and checked switched outlet on back of receiver,
the outles show open with ohm meter, unplug yellow and white wire on
transformer to board and now switched outlets are no longer reading
open....does this sound like a power transformer, any way to test?

I don't understand your assertion that the switched outlet reads "open" with
an ohm meter, then doesn't when the white / yellow lead is unplugged. Are
you sure you don't mean that you read a short, or at least a low reading,
when the plug is in, and then an open when it is unplugged ? That situation
works, as the back panel socket, will be connected in parallel with the
power transformer primary, which is itself switched via a relay. The fact
that you do read this low value ( I believe ) would indicate that the
primary of the main tx is ok. As the seller said that the unit was ok, I
would suspect that it might have taken a knock in transport, and you should
be looking for fractured print on the power input board, particularly where
any pins from the transformers are connected. I have seen this many times.
Examine all print around the power input and transformers very carefully
with a magnifying glass if necessary. I'm willing to bet you will find your
problem quickly, if you know what you are looking for.

well i have looked it over some more...still havent found much...looked
for fractured print, no luck yet. I did get the dmm back out, to check
voltages...not getting volatge anywhere on the board exept where the
power cord it plugging into board, checked for voltage at the 2 main
fuses..nothing, checked for voltage on every wire on power transformer,
nothing there either

Thanks in advance
Arfa