Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Can improper wiring actually cause a fire?

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:19:23 +0000, Mike wrote:

On 15 Dec 2006 18:00:14 GMT, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:33:08 +0000, Mike wrote:

On 14 Dec 2006 10:56:08 -0800, wrote:

and attached with good wirenuts

ROFLMAO

Wirenut: Heap of crap half assed solution looking for a fire, bodge,
commonly found in North American wiring installations.

Actaully, that "bodge" is required by the electrical code in US wiring,
that or an equivalent.

So there is an equivalent to a wirenut is there? I'm having great
difficulty thinking of anything else that could "perform" a similar
"function" and be so badly engineered for the task in hand.

So what do you use?

Do you know of any cases in which wire nuts caused
fires?

Google images "wire nut" and "wirenut" brings up quite a good
selection.

Please post a link to one of those images in which there was a fire caused
by wirenuts. The only images I find that are at all relevant show burnt
wirenuts due to improper use with aluminum wire in violation of code, and
in none of them was there any indication of a structure fire. Now
admittedly I did not take the time to examine more than the first ten
pages or so of images.

What do _you_ use?

Fortunately I reside in the true land of the free where higher standards
are used in electrical installations. Basically just about everywhere
other than the USA.

The question was not where you reside, the question was what you use in
lieu of wire nuts. So what do you use? Or don't you know?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate