Posted to misc.consumers.house
RickR RickR is offline

Default fluorescent bulbs

This applies to screw-in base type compact fluorescents (CFs.) Fixtures
built for fluorescents avoid most these issues, or at least deal with
them better.

1. The fixture rating is for electrical and heat reasons. The CF will
be far cooler for the same power. You still shouldn't overload the
wires, but probably can't.

2. Size is major factor. If it fits you're probably OK. Brighter CFs
will almost always have more surface area. Typically only the 60W
replacements are the same size as a basic incandescent bulb.

3. Enclosed fixtures will trap heat and ballasts don't like heat! Try
not to put CFs upside down, unless rated for it. The heat goes right to
the electronics.

4. Use only reflector CFs to replace "R" lamps in recessed lights.
Because the light is generated at the surface of a CF, reflectors are
problematic. Very few reflectors designed for incandescents work well
with CFs.

5. Don't use CFs where you look directly at the lamp. The surface
brightness of most CF's is around the level that can be damaging to the
eyes.

6. Don't switch them on & off quickly. The actual trade off point is
now (very approximately) 5 minutes. But, the longer they burn each time
(on average,) the more you save.

7. Don't use a dimmer unless the CF is rated for it, then most dimmers
will work.

The worst thing you can do is to put a long CF, upside down in a
recessed can so that it sticks out where you can't avoid looking at it.
It hurts, doesn't light well and burns out way too soon.

The best uses are table lamps (replacement harps can help accommodate
large CFs,) and outdoor fixtures. (You can use very small amounts of
light out doors. I have 7W "flame shape" CFs in my outdoor lanterns.)
In these cases, they can be indistiquishable from incandescents and
save lots of money for years at a time.

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views

Todd H. wrote:
"Michael_S" u30266@uwe writes:

Lamps usually have a maximum allowed watt light that may be used in them
(many have a 60 or 100 watt limit). If you are converting to compact
fluorescent bulbs, which limit value do you use? The equivalent light output
or the wattage that the bulb uses? If rated at 60 watts how big a compact
fluorescent can you use?

Generally speaking, those ratings are reflective of the electrical
capacity of the fixture and its ability to tolerate heat. As such,
look to the elctrical rating, not light output. i.e. You should be
able to use on hella big CF in there.

However, I have seen on CF boxes that they're not to be used in
enclosed fixtures. I'm not sure of the specific "why" on that, so be
sure to heed that as applicable.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.