Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] n2ah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Boiler Temperature Setting Question

Paul Flansburg wrote:
wrote:
The thermostat settings currently are LO = 130F and HI = 160F. But the
furnace comes on when the water temperature guage reads 160F, and shuts
off when the temperature gauge reads 185F. The temperature gauge
continues to climb to about 190F after the furnace shuts off, due (I
think) to the lag time for the water temp to stabilize.

Does this sound normal? Why doesn't the temperature gauge track with
the thermostat settings? Should I lower the settings?

This is a Burnham V83 boiler in an oil / hot water heating system with
a coil inside the boiler for hot water.

All wrong answers......Take a look at the aquastat. This is NOT a
thermostat, but an Aquastat for maintaining the operating temperature
of the boiler. There should be 3 dials on the aquastat. Lo and hi
cutoff and the differential setting. It sounds like the diferential
dial setting is set at 25. This is not a problem!!! Figure out which
manufacturer you have, most are Honeywell, and do a google on the
manufac. and model number. All of your questions will be answered once
you find the correct document.

Thanks for your reply. The Aquastat is a Honeywell Model L4081B. I
googled and found the data on it.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/60-2105.pdf

My unit only has two dials, HI and LO. The manual states that HI sets
the boiler temperature, and LO controls the circulator. It doesn't
describe how to set the "differential" temperature.

My question still is: With HI set to 160F, why does my gauge show
temperatures as high as 185F? The diagram in the manual shows that the
burner shuts off at the HI set point.

Art Harris