Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Retarding white glue...?

Swingman wrote:
"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

TiteBond III has an open time of 10min

I'm of the opinion that their marketing department got a bit carried away on
this particular claim. I've found the open time to be much closer to 7
minutes, or less, no matter the ambient temperature.

A bit disturbing because it's not a claim that generates a lot of confidence
in a substance that holds together the woodworking world ... and makes you
wonder what else in the product doesn't live up to claims/expectations?

(... and I sincerely hope I am just exercising a bit of age based cynicism.)

Coming from the boat building world, the only observation I can make
about wood working glues is that they are very useful as long as you
don't need long open times or a waterproof glue, because they provide
neither.

Epoxy is about your only real choice if you require long open times
and/or a waterproof adhesive, especially since Aerolite 306 is basically
no longer available.

Lew

Lew