Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo Rod & Betty Jo is offline

Default Can improper wiring actually cause a fire?

"cyrille de Brebisson" wrote in message
hello,

you can start by using 240V like all decent people (read, in the rest of
the world (Japan except)) and significantly reduce your risk (with or
without a neutral or ground).
the main reason is ohm's law (U=RI) coupled with resistance law J=RIČ and
power law W=UI
ie: if you divide the Voltage on a circuit by 2, you will need to increase
your intensity by 2 and therefore, the energy wated in the conductors
(read heat) (of fixed resistance) will multiply by 4.
so, for the same 'product' with the same output power, your cables will
heat 4 times more in 120V than in 240...
so, 240 is much safter than 120V (at least when it comes to burning down
your house)...

cyrille

How many houses burn down in the U.S. because of this supposed wiring
"problem"? Since I believe most electrical fires are related to equipment
malfunctions, faulty junctions and connections ......in fact I've never
heard (I don't get out muchg) of a house burning down from a over heated
wire that was properly executed and fuse protected. I'd expect lamps, cords
etc. to cause way more havoc than the "in the wall" wiring......fear
mongering has its place but can you back it up? Incidently does anyone know
why "we" chose 120 instead of 220 as the norm?................Rod