Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Creases in coaxial cables

"isw" wrote in message
In article ,
mm wrote:

Are small bends, or even small creases, or even large creases enough
to cause internet signal degradation. IIUC, it can cause ghosts in tv
reception??, but with internet, it would mean the resending of some
packets, right. Perhaps multiple resending, lowering the speed by 10,
20, 50, 80%????

As a rule, with digital transmission, flaws of the sort you mention are
either not significant, or very significant, with no in between.

IOW, if it works at all, it'll work just fine.

Still, the smart money would be on buying a new roll of RG-6 at the
local Radio Shack.

Isaac

Surely, the most significant factor is whether the OP is talking good
quality twin screen coax, with specs up to the job for the carrier frequency
that's being used by the cable company ? If it's 20 year old VHF patchlead
coax, rather than proper distribution coax, any losses due to poor VSWR from
kinking, will pale into insignificance. With the advent of DSB TV, good
quality twin screen coax is now so cheap, that I can't imagine why you would
not just use new, and be absolutely sure that you are getting the
performance that your cable broadband is capable of delivering. The comments
made by other posters regarding permanent damage and bend radii, are
absolutely valid, and should be adhered to. With regard to crush damage,
another factor which no one has mentioned, is that it can result in
frequency-specific suckout. Trust me - I've seen it on a spec anny.

Arfa