Posted to rec.woodworking
Never Enough Money Never Enough Money is offline

Default Lie-Nielsen or Veritas

4) LN's are made in America, one of the few things that is.

Andy wrote:
wrote:
It's time I buy a good plane. I need it for fitting doors to openings,
drawers to openings, and the like. I don't need one for surfacing
large areas. What size would you suggest?

Low angle block plane (with adjustable mouth) is perfect for small
trimming tasks like that, and the low angle works well on end grain.

Which brand do you prefer: L/N or Veritas? I'm not concerned about
the price.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I have the LN, which
performs beautifully and is arguably "prettier" with the bronze cap.
However, I have the Veritas Shoulder plane and one of their replacement
blades, which are also top-notch quality, and everything I've heard
about the LV LABP is positive. The only real differences I've come up
with from checking specs, reading here etc. are that:
1.) the LN doesn't have a lateral adjust lever (I haven't missed one;
it's easy enough to just move the blade by hand),
2.) the LN doesn't have accessories like a choice of blade materials
(A1 or O2) or an add-on ball tail and knob
http://tinyurl.com/ydzwea
and
3.) they're slightly different sizes and shapes, which I think is
entirely a matter of personal preference.
I'd see if you could try out each one in your hand, and see which one
rubs you the right way.
Good luck, and I think you'll be happy either way you decide on this,
Andy