Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Faust Richard Faust is offline

Default uhmw strips

Patt wrote:
I am using uhmw strips for the runners on a t/s sled. How would you join
them to the wood base? I was thinking of using some kind of epoxy glue. Do
I also use small nails or screws?
Patt

Having worked for a company that made uhmw (*ultra wear) I would highly
doubt that any type of glue or epoxy would stick to it for very long. As
you might know, uhmw is as tough as nails and near impossible to break
in half. An interesting side bar is that uhmw yields a LOT of STATIC
electricity when machining it. Did you ever notice how the chips cling
to the surface after cutting? I'm with the consensus on this one
suggesting that you use screws to hold it in place. As far as deburring
goes, I would use a sharp razor blade rather than sandpaper. BTW this
stuff forms nicely when heated up in an oven for 30 minutes and then
placed in a form. You know it is hot enough to form when the material
starts to turn translucent.

Rick