Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Creases in coaxial cables

Are small bends, or even small creases, or even large creases enough
to cause internet signal degradation. IIUC, it can cause ghosts in tv
reception??, but with internet, it would mean the resending of some
packets, right. Perhaps multiple resending, lowering the speed by 10,
20, 50, 80%????

When my isp starts to offer cable internet, I'm hoping to sign up. I
would run the cable from the back of the house to the office, using if
I can, scrap coaxial cable. It's in very good condition, beautiful
ends on each end (better or at least better looking than I can
attach), bright white finish, never been dirty, but it has been bent
at one or two places to a 90 degree angle, and at 3 or 4 other places
to a 135 or 120 degree bend. Of course there is no flex pressure on
the cable now, and I have bent the coax back to where it is
practically straight when it is at rest (and not coiled). I'm
guessing that maybe the insulation was compressed, and the distance
from the center wire to the shield is not as great as it should be in
these two locations. Maybe 10 or 20% too little on one side of the
wire. Is that enough to lower transmission speed??

Even if you tell me this is imporant and I should get new cable, what
about using this cable for other things, like running tv around my
house or things I don't even know about. Does what I described mean
there will be a substantial signal loss, or ghosts??

Thanks

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)