Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Can improper wiring actually cause a fire?

In article , Chris Friesen wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

- Why is it important that the equipment grounding conductor for a circuit be
run in the same cable or raceway as the circuit conductors?

You've got me on this one. If I have two PVC conduits going from the
panel and put the hots in one and the ground in the other, and the
equpment is grounded properly, I'm at a loss as to what could happen.

Google up a thread in alt.home.repair titled "Use two 12/2s for 240v?" -- the
topic was discussed starting about 18 posts deep in the thread.

- Why is it OK to install a 20A receptacle on a 15A circuit, but not a 30A
receptacle on a 20A circuit?

According to this

http://www.passandseymour.com/knowho...egory=Electric
al%20Basics

It's *not* okay to install a 20A receptacle on a 15A circuit.

My mistake -- sloppy typing and proofreading; I reversed the amperage numbers
in both halves. Thanks for the catch. Question should have read:

Why is it OK to install a 15A receptacle on a 20A circuit, but not a 20A
receptacle on a 30A circuit?

--
Regards,