Posted to rec.woodworking
Chrisgiraffe Chrisgiraffe is offline

Default Hybrid Tablesaws

Hello again,
I'd mentioned creative uses of table tops/work surfaces in an earlier
post to help your situation. Here's a good example of how one author
solved the same problem. As you see, this plan takes a decent benchtop
model saw (Porter Cable), incorporates a router into the extension
table, makes use of a very good fence (the Biesemeyer) and still
provides storage underneath, while putting the entire thing on wheels
to allow for a variety of shop set ups:

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/TblSawCab.html

Hope this inspires a few good ideas. If not, they have a link to the
plans. I strongly considered this set up myself but I have enough room
for a decent contractor's saw. I read the reviews on the Delta you
mentioned on Amazon. Those reviews really are a mixed bag. Most sound
like they had a couple of quality control issues involved with a new
product roll out. If anything, I know from my own experience Delta has
outstanding customer saws. The kinds of issues the reviewers came
across can really happen with any saw- particularly a new model. The
important thing is whether you can actually talk to someone who will
fix it or whether you get a website that says you're better off going
to a local machine shop or sending the whole thing back. I would still
put my money on a Delta over a similar costing model any day-
especially a Craftsman.

Mike Howland wrote:
Greetings,

I'm considering upgrading from my current contractor saw to a hybrid saw.
I'm hope to gain improved dust collection because of the enclosed cabinet
and a smaller footprint than my current saw (a craftsman 10inch
contractor). I'm limited to 115v in my shop.

Do any of you have experience with the Delta 36-717? The reviews seem mixed
on Amazon... that makes me nervous. Would you recommend a hybrid saw by
another manufacturer?

I apologize if this has been discussed, I did some searches without success.

Regards,
Mike