Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Floorboards

TheScullster wrote:
wrote

Usually the boards are pine and can be replaced with more pine. However
if you put new boards down theyre going to be a real eyesore mixed with
the old. Better to get ye to a reclaim yard and get the right boards,
otherwise it'll look bad for decades to come.

T&G doesnt reduce floor springiness, but it does improve performance in
a fire by stopping smoke. You could repolace 3 old boards with 2 newer
if necessary, but its worth ringing round and see if you can get board
as original, then it'll look decent.

You dont say if this'll be on view, but if so and you cant find boards
as per original, I'd take some old boards and cut them down, and not
worry about the ts & gs.

Thanks to NT et al

Sorry should have included, house is 1970s, so it is unlikely that I will
want to expose the floor as a "feature".
Is flooring grade chipboard reasonably water resistant, or will it
disintegrate in the event of a radiator leak or pipe burst?

Phil

Standard stuff isnt at all water resistant. One wetting and its a mess.
The green stuff I dont know, not really used it.

NT