Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default OK - I Got A Chainsaw - Now What?

Test Tickle wrote:

There are also different kinds of chain, just as there is more than
one kind of hand saw or bandsaw blade. You can get a chain designed
specifically for ripping. Most consumer saws are sold with "safety
chain," which really stinks for rip cuts. Better "pro" chains are
still designed for crosscutting, but will both crosscut and rip more
agressively than a safety chain. It's probably something else we can
blame on the product liability lawyers, but if you inquire at a store
that specializes in chainsaws they can probably hook you up with
something.

tt

The subject of chains was in John Brugo's presentation - the
"safety chain" noted - tooth link : depth of cut limiter link : tooth
link
and that they're the only type avialable from The Borg, in it's many
manifistations. At stores that sell mainly to the professionals,
you can get a range of other chains - and bars - for more aggressive
cutting ie. tooth link: plain link: tooth link and even tooth
link:
TWO plain links: tooth link ( is it plain or plane?).

I know Stihl makes a special rip chain and bar - narrower
kerf and thinner bar - don't recall if the chain is "safety" or not
but I can go look at mine if someone's really interested.

While the "non safety" chains cut more aggressively, they're often
also harder to control and can bang your hands up more in many
cases.

So damn much stuff to be aware of, so much stuff to learn.

charlie b