Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default OK - I Got A Chainsaw - Now What?

Hi Bart

First off, like Darrell says dirt in the bark will dull the chain in a
blink of 'n eye, also if you hit the ground the chain is dull.

If I have to cut up a log with dirt on it I will take my one bar that
has a flat end on it (just like a screw driver) and I'll try to get a
strip of bark off, doesn't always work to easy though, but a brush does
help some to, cutting lengthwise through the bark first is also better
for the chain, rather than dragging the bark and dirt down through the
wood, not so much of a problem on the other side where you cut the bark
away from the wood.

Then I would recommend you get a spare chain, first it will give you an
idea how a sharp chain should saw and also if your chain gets dull you
can put on a fresh sharp chain and continue with the job, and then you
can sharpen the dull chain when you have the time to do a good job.

Also as you have sharpened the chain a few times, did you file down the
rakers some ??? if not that will also make your saw seems dull, as the
chains cutters being unable to get to the wood.

When you go to get an spare chain, I would advice you take the chain
along, helps for getting the right one.

With all the snow gone again you can cut a lot of wood before the next
flurries come around ;-))
Make sure you seal the ends of your blanks, and keep them out of the
sun and also out of the wind if possible, you could throw a tarp over
them, but then you have to watch for mildew and staining.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum30.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bart V wrote:
I haven't used the lathe a whole lot these days for lathing but this
load of maple sure got me in the mood.
Like usual, you folks are fabulous with your generous supply of
knowledgeable answers - thanks ever so much, you'll turn me into a
real woodworker yet ))
The question now of course, will my chainsaw get to that pile before
the snow does...
Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com