Posted to rec.woodworking
Chrisgiraffe Chrisgiraffe is offline

Default Hybrid Tablesaws

Hello Mike,
If I may throw two cents worth in, may I suggest you rethink your
situation. You said you're considering a hybrid just because of
footprint. It sounds to me like your real issue is not so much the saw
base as the table top. Table tops are usually larger than the base and
most are pretty close to the same before extensions unless you
downgrade to a benchtop.

If you haven't already, consider the average lengths of the wood(s)
you're working with. If it's plywood sheets perhaps you can get by
with some kind of vertical sheet-cutting rig. If you're cutting long
stretches for cabinets then I'm not sure how you will work around
extension tables without maneuvering your existing (if you have them)
work tables. Some people utilize the table saw itself as a workbench
in crowded spaces by placing a top over it when not in use. You can
make a creative use of tables in conjuntion with your saw so that you
are not dependent on permanent extension wings but you'll run into
issues when you want to use your fence on them if they're not exactly
the same depth as your table saw and you can't get them aligned
properly. Again, the size of the wood you commonly work with will
dictate a lot of what you can and can't get away with.

As for dust collection, a cabinet without any suction on it is going to
shoot dust in your face and soon will cloud up your basement. At some
point you have to address that and a cabinet isn't much better than a
nylon bag with a string tied around the dust chute.

As for table saws, I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't think
their brand is the best. I used to own a Craftsman and I believe that
what they market as 'contractor saws' are nothing more than benchtops
in a contractor saw coat. I've got the Delta 36-982 contractor saw
(comes w/ Biesemeyer fence and side extension table). I don't think
anything Craftsman sells holds a candle to it, but, as you see, I have
my preference too. Delta considers it their 'contractor saw'. If you
get a chance drop in at Lowe's and have a look. One particular problem
I have with Craftsman is their rampant use of plastics throughout their
tools, their poor knockoff features and their non-standard designs
(e.g. miter slots, clearance plates, etc.). I just think for the same
money you get more from Delta and Jet. I'm sure there are hordes ready
to pull their teeth out that I didn't mention Steel City, Powermatic
and General. Well, when I get the money to just go hog wild, perhaps-
meanwhile I'm big on Delta (non-shopmaster) and Jet. I think they both
offer great all around value (quality, durability, features, customer
service) for the money. But, again, I have a hard time seeing the saw
as much the main issue as table space and the size of wood you work
with. If you're limited with space and moving from a Sears contractor
to a hybrid I think you'll either have the same issue or it will be
worse since the hybrid is likely to be as large or larger than a Sears
contractor. If anything I would consider finding a quality benchtop
(likely Bosch or Dewalt) and using benches in some configuration as
make shift extension tables if space were the issue.

If anyone doesn't like my Delta/Jet suggestion please feel free to ship
me the best Table Saw of your choice and I'll be happy to give it a
try. :-)