Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Pearls Before the Swine

Par wrote:
Andy :
I went with the mass-for-stability tactic on the bed I recently made -
lots of solid white oak. Each of the side rails alone weighs about 30
pounds. That can take some serious bumps without so much as a squeak
(no more mental image fodder intended...)

Go for the techiques used by the vibration free instruments crowd: very
heavy surface, on rubber pads (I've even seen a setup lifted by
compressed air jets, but that might disturb your sleep). So, for a bed
an 1 ton marble slab should work, laid down on top of umpteen rubber
pads. Add normal bed parts on top. Don't forget to add felt pads
underneath, or there might be some slight marking of soft wood floors.

/Par

Marble slab resting on inner tubes floating in chilled mineral oil in a
building mounted on springs and shock absorbers anchored to a concrete
slab floating in a pond.

Just about then the train goes by, sounds the horn for the crossing and
you STILL can't sleep through the night!
;-)

Bill

--
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.

Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924)

And twice a day, I still fall short.
Bill in Detroit (1952 - )

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0658-0, 12/13/2006
Tested on: 12/14/2006 12:41:06 AM